Morrinsville Intermediate School - Kia U Ki Te Pai - Whatever You Do, Let It Be Your Best

24 Elizabeth Avenue, Morrinsville    Phone: 07 889 6629    Email: office@mi.school.nz
Alert Level 2:  February 28th, 2021 Memo # 2

Kia Ora koutou 
You will most likely be aware that the Prime Minister has informed us that as of 6.00 am Sunday morning, we will move into Alert Level 2 again for seven days. Auckland moves into Alert Level 3. 

Fundamental public health measures continue to apply at Alert level 2:
Physical distancing (not touching and not breathing on each other at Alert Level 2)
Hand hygiene (students to go straight to class on arrival to school and sanitise their hands please). 
Cough and sneeze etiquette
Regularly cleaning and disinfecting high touch surfaces.

Level 2:  February 2021  Memo # 1 
Kia Ora 
You will most likely be aware of the Prime Minister's announcement at 7.00 p.m. tonight informing us that the Auckland area will be moving into Alert Level 3 from midnight tonight and the rest of the country will move into Alert Level 2. 
The alert levels will remain in place until 11.59 p.m. on Wednesday 17th February. This decision has been made on the basis of three community cases of Covid-19.
Alert Level 2 for all of New Zealand excluding the Auckland region (as outlined by the Secretary of Education, 14th Feb. 7.10 p.m.):
1. Schools are open to everyone, and all children must attend.
At Alert Level 2 the disease is contained but there is still risk of community transmission. It is safe for children and staff to attend school and for school hostels to be operating as there will be appropriate measures in place, including for children and staff vulnerable to severe illness.
2. Learning will be onsite with distance learning offered in some circumstances. Distance learning should be provided for those required to self-isolate, those individuals who health authorities have asked to stay away while waiting for a test result, or those choosing to remain at home because they are vulnerable to illness.
3. Schools are not classified as gatherings and a range of events and activities can go ahead.
For most day to day activities at schools, the rules for gatherings do not apply. Under the COVID-19 Public Health Response Order, schools are exempted from physical distancing requirements when people are there to receive, provide, or support education services.
However as soon as your event or activity brings people onsite who are not there for education purposes, including students, parents and caregivers, then the rules for gatherings do apply. This would include performances such as school plays, cultural events and sporting activities.
4. Schools will close for cleaning and contact tracing if there is a confirmed case who was infectious when at school.  The Director of Education will work closely with schools and health authorities should this occur. Please contact your Ministry regional office if you hear of a confirmed case in your school community but haven’t been advised about it by health officials.
5. Face coverings are not required at school or on any school transport.
This includes charter buses hired by the school to transport students and staff. Anyone who chooses to wear a face covering in any setting should be supported to do so.
6. Sick people must stay at home.
They should seek medical advice if they have COVID-like symptoms and get tested if advised to do so. If that person displays relevant symptoms of COVID-19, tests positive for COVID-19, or has been in close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19, they must self-isolate.
7. MIS has a contact tracing system in place.
This includes displaying QR code posters at our entrances,  and visitor register.
8. Fundamental public health measures continue to apply at every alert level: physical distancing (not touching and not breathing on each other at Alert Level 2), hand hygiene, cough and sneeze etiquette, regularly cleaning and disinfecting high touch surfaces.
9. Think and plan carefully before you go ahead with any activity that brings a large number of students together and/or spectators are involved.
Some events may need to be cancelled or postponed when we are at Alert Level 2. Inter-regional travel is possible but only where you are confident the appropriate measures will be in place at the host venue, including requirements for gatherings.
Impact on Morrinsville Intermediate School:
1. The Tainui Team beach safety education trip planned for tomorrow will be postponed (mass gathering rules apply for activities beyond 100)
2. If possible, adults please refrain from visiting our site unless absolutely necessary. If you must come into school, report directly to the office and scan the QR code, and sign our visitors register please.
3. Hygiene practices will be stepped up; students are asked to bring their own water bottle please (however, drinking fountains will be cleaned twice daily), coughs and sneezes are into elbows and if unwell, students are asked to stay home
4. Hard surfaces in classrooms, door handles etc will be cleaned thoroughly each day
5. Students are asked to wash hands before eating and after play
Moving into Alert Level 2 is a reminder that we need to be vigilant at all times, and at Morrinsville Intermediate School we remind our students regularly about managing themselves in a bid to prevent the spread of viruses. Please reinforce the messages stated above.
Thank you for your support to ensure we keep everyone safe. Take care ... any questions please don't hesitate to contact me or your child's teacher.
Kindest regards
Jenny Clark
Principal

As of today we are in COVID-19 Alert Level 1.
All visitors to school will be required to report to the office on arrival and sign in.

Please reinforce the need for our students to continue:
  1. safe hand hygiene (remind students to wash/dry hands before/after eating/playing)
  2. bring water bottles to school (as a matter of good practice)
  3. cleaning high touch surfaces daily (continue to do this as good practice please)
  4. coughing/sneezing into elbows
  5. staying home if unwell
Please remind children that the above measures, are not just good to help prevent COVID-19, but are good health/safety measures for life!

04.09.20
COVID-19 Alert Level 2 remains in place:
As you may have heard, all areas will remain in their current Alert Level until 14th September. Unfortunately this means all Inter-Intermediate Sports have been cancelled for the rest of Term Three, this includes our WIMS week which was planned for next week.  In line with this, our school has also decided to cancel our participation in the Tough Guy/Gal Run.

Thank you for your understanding.

24.08.20
Kia ora koutou 

Following the announcement from the Prime Minister this afternoon we will remain at Alert Level 2 until further notice. Just a reminder that while everyone is on site at Alert Level 2, we must adhere to key health measures including:

- Good hand hygiene and cough and sneeze etiquette
- Students bringing their own water bottles
- Students checking in with their teacher on arrival, and sanitising their hands
- Students washing hands with soap for 20 sec. prior to eating, and after play
- Staying away if sick (please phone/email the office by 8.45 a.m. if your child is going to be absent)
- Keeping the appropriate physical distance from others i.e. 1m wherever practicable on our site, and 2m out in public
- Cleaning and disinfecting our high touch surfaces daily
- Displaying QR code posters at our entrances and encouraging all of our community to download the NZ COVID Tracer App and use it if they come onsite
- Keeping a visitor register for anyone who cannot use the app and for other visitors who come onsite for a period of time.

We believe that all these things will help to keep our community as safe as possible. Because of these measures, it is not a requirement that your child wears a face covering while at school. However, we will of course support them should they choose to do so.

We continue to be responsive to updates from the Prime Minister to ensure we are adhering to protocols. This has brought challenges including:
- planning for our Open Evening (for 2021 Y. 7s) - we have changed the date from 26th August to 2nd September and are in the process of amending the organisation of the evening to ensure we keep to the limit of 100. Once the details are finalised you will be informed and we thank you for your patience.
- sports - hosting events is tricky under Alert Level 2, with contact/tracing and mass gathering regulations. Again, we will keep you informed about any changes to our II Girls' Rugby tournament being hosted at Campbell Park on 9th September.

For those of you who might be finding things more difficult than usual, a reminder that there is a large range of support available. Please go to the covid19.govt.nz website for more information, or get in touch and we will help you to find the information and support you need.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Take care, and thank you for your ongoing support.

Ngā mihi
Jenny Clark
Principal

12.08.20
Alert Level Two 
The Government has advised there are four new Covid-19 cases in Auckland (unrelated to travel / isolation).   In response to that Auckland moved into Alert Level 3 from mid-day today until midnight Friday night. 
The rest of the country moves into Alert Level 2. 
For us at school that means we need to be vigilant with hygiene practices (washing hands thoroughly for 20 seconds with soap and water, sanitising hand on arrival to school, sneezing into elbows), keeping physical distance of 1 metre where possible (doesn’t apply to buses), cleaning high use surfaces regularly, visitors remaining off site unless absolutely necessary (report to office for contact tracing purposes if you are on site), students bringing water bottles. Please keep your child home if they are unwell. 
Please visit the Ministry of Health website for the latest updates. 
Once I receive further advice from the Ministry of Education I will on-communicate that to you. 
Stay safe everyone and please be vigilant with contact tracing and hygiene practices. 
Kind regards
Jenny Clark
Principal